Our Head Chef Simon is passionate about cooking delicious seasonal dishes at The Red Lion, using some top-secret ingredients and techniques passed down from generations of family members. However, one recipe he is more than willing to share is his delicious Cranberry Baked Alaska.
“This is such a tasty dessert and looks incredible on your table too” says Simon.
He encourages you to give it a try and impress your guests over the festive season.
Ingredients ( 4 portions):
- 1 large ready-made sponge base (cut into 4 x 4inch circles)
- 80g strawberry jam
- 4 balls cranberry ice cream
- 150g sugar
- 150g egg white (roughly 8 eggs)
- 1/4 bottle of mulled wine
- Melt the jam and spread on the 4 sponge bases
- Add 1 scoop of cranberry ice cream onto each base and freeze on tray
- Once the bases have frozen, whisk the sugar and egg whites until stiff and pipe this over the base and ice cream
- Blow torch the top to create a golden glaze, then return to freezer
- Take out 20 minutes before serving
For the mulled wine syrup:
- Reduce 1/4 bottle of mulled wine until a syrup
Enjoy with warm mulled wine syrup drizzled over the top. Can be made well in advance and kept in the freezer, ready for the perfect occasion.
Try Simon’s delicious dishes for yourself; book online to enjoy a meal at The Red Lion.