Our team of skilled chefs are incredibly passionate about cooking delicious seasonal dishes at The Red Lion, using some top-secret ingredients and techniques passed down from generations of family members. However, they know we’re not all as creative in the kitchen as they are, so we asked them for a simple-to-make, crowd-pleasing recipe that would be a real winner when entertaining this festive season.
We’d encourage you to give it a try and impress your guests over the festive season.
Fancy a weekend of letting us cook for you? Book a room to stay overnight here in Odiham at The Red Lion.
Ingredients ( 4 portions):
- 1 large ready-made sponge base (cut into 4 x 4inch circles)
- 80g strawberry jam
- 4 balls cranberry ice cream
- 150g sugar
- 150g egg white (roughly 8 eggs)
- 1/4 bottle of mulled wine
- Melt the jam and spread on the 4 sponge bases
- Add 1 scoop of cranberry ice cream onto each base and freeze on tray
- Once the bases have frozen, whisk the sugar and egg whites until stiff, and pipe this over the base and ice cream
- Blow torch the top to create a golden glaze, then return to freezer
- Take out 20 minutes before serving
For the mulled wine syrup:
- Reduce 1/4 bottle of mulled wine until a syrup
- Enjoy with warm mulled wine syrup drizzled over the top.
If you’re not a fan, or can’t get hold of cranberries, switch them out for your favourite berry, ideally choose in-season fruits for maximum flavour. You can also make this well in advance (excluding the syrup), and keep it in the freezer, ready for the perfect occasion.
Let us know how you get on with making this delicious pud!
Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas, and a prosperous 2023 to all!